I just browsed one hundred and thirty (130) SOCA tracks on d trot... FWDing the tracks that didn't touch my soul within the first 30 seconds... The same tief a melody here, tief a riddim there.
How many CHORDS does this music use anyway? I keep hearing the same instruments played the same way over and over. Oh gwaam when will these guys stop tiefing other people catch phrases too. RAH RAH RAH!
- RucuRar Riddim - emanating from a phrase from Sunny Bling rucurar has been made into a riddim by fellow City 94.1 FM announcer Journey. Ziggy Rankin leads with the title track explaining what exactly is a rucurar. Leighanna & RKG, Brown & Journey and Billy d King & Terry Seales also feature.
- Greatest Riddim - a veteran in his own right Richard 'Char Su' Ahong brings us the riddim that has taken Trinbago by storm. Featuring the 2006 SynergyTV Soca Star Rohan 'Fireball' Richards, Ziggy Rankin, Bitts & Juicy a.ka. Jah Bami, Klass, Jabbi, H2O Phlo, Ghetto Flex, 3 Suns among others.
- Til Morning Riddim - sounds more like a dancehall riddim than anything else. Lil Rick & Lexxus, Bunji Garlin.
- Estrogen Riddim - You can guess that this is supposed to be a Woman Empowering thing. Precious, Nadia Batson, Ms. Alysha and Daria.
- Spiderman Riddim - featuring some lesser known artists like Spiritual, Silver and Mr. Shack, along with Mega Banton, from Jamaica, and singer/songwriter Impulse.
You can check out DJ Carbon Copy's weekly SOCA chart.
I still have to make my usual SOCA CDs for export though... only need about 50 tracks.